CHRISTOPHER B. BORTZ
Christopher Bortz founded Bortz Law Firm, LLC in February 2021 after enjoying over twenty years of practice at a respected Belleville, Illinois law firm. Chris was an equity partner at his former firm for over fifteen years. Chris is licensed to practice law in the States of Illinois and Missouri and is also admitted to the United States District Courts for the Southern District of Illinois and Eastern District of Missouri.
Chris has extensive experience handling civil litigation cases of various types. He handles cases throughout Southern Illinois, Central Illinois and Eastern Missouri. His practice includes defending physicians and medical groups in professional malpractice litigation and Chris also defends insurance companies and insureds in the areas of general insurance defense and personal injury litigation. In addition, Chris represents insurance companies in first-party litigation, coverage matters and Examinations Under Oath.
Chris is a seasoned litigator, well versed in complex litigation matters. He has tried cases to verdict in Illinois and Missouri State Courts as well as in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Illinois. His strong work ethic and dedication to the practice of law has earned the respect of his peers. Chris is recognized as an Illinois Leading Lawyer (Leading Lawyer Network) in the areas of medical malpractice defense, personal injury defense and insurance law. Chris has also been recognized as an Illinois Super Lawyer, Rising Star. Chris is often invited to lecture to physician, legal and insurance organizations on a variety of medical, legal and ethical issues.
Outside of the office, Chris enjoys spending time with his family as well as watching or coaching his children’s sporting activities. Chris is an avid college sports fan and enjoys getting plenty of exercise and playing golf. Chris, his wife Jen and their two sons reside in Caseyville, Illinois.
- 99% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Medical Malpractice Defense
- Personal Injury Defense
- General Insurance Defense
- First Party Insurance Claim Defense
- Examinations Under Oath
- Illinois, 2000
- Missouri, 2000
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Illinois, 2000
- Saint Louis University School of Law, St. Louis, Missouri, J.D. – 1999
- Purdue University, 1996, B.A.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Illinois Leading Lawyer (Leading Lawyer Network; Medical Malpractice Defense, Personal Injury Defense and Insurance Law)
- Faculty member and speaker, “IDC Deposition Academy, Deposition Education for a Successful Illinois Defense Practice”
- Speaker, “Medical Malpractice Law Comparisons for Illinois and Missouri” – Medical Malpractice Insurer Seminar
- Speaker, “Illinois Law Updates Affecting Personal Injury Litigation” – Country Mutual Insurance Company Claims Adjuster Seminar
MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
- Bar Association Metropolitan St. Louis, Member
- St. Clair County Bar Association, Member
- Madison County Bar Association, Member
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- The Missouri Bar, Member
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers, Member
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel, Member
- Defense Research Institute, Member